Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Restaurant Review of Dettera -- a new "wine bar" in Ambler

So a few weeks ago I tried the new restaurant and wine bar, Dettera, in downtown Ambler. I was very excited to try this place as they were marketing it a "wine bar" (and I love wine flights) and it really looked beautiful inside. Though I had a nice time and a good meal, I found it to be expensive and not really a wine bar (just a restaurant with a traditional wine list)

Pros of the restaurant:
- very pretty inside, very hip. I definitely felt like I was downtown or somewhere not 5 minutes from my house. They also have a really nice outdoor alley section that you can sit in which looked awesome.
- I loved the upstairs lounge section -- very cool area with a fireplace, couches, etc. I will definitely be back to hang out in this area with some drinks and apps.
- The food was pretty good! Not amazing, but I also went just a few weeks after they opened so it could be even better now. The menu had a nice selection.
- very close to my house! Always a pro!

Cons:
- Pretty expensive. I went with a group of friends (there were 6 of us) and we shared apps, 2 pizzas, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts. We each had a glass of wine. Each of us paid $50, which seemed a bit steep.
- No wine flights or anything to really make it a "wine bar"

Overall, I liked the restaurant and I will definitely be back. But the next time I go it will be for apps and drinks, not a full meal. (Or I will watch more closely what I order to make sure it's not a fortune!) I think it's a great idea to see a movie at the Ambler theater and then to go Dettera for some drinks after. If you go, enjoy! And let me know what you think!

(215) 643-0111
129 E. Butler Pike
Ambler, PA 19002

2 comments:

  1. Wow ~ Excellent Food!!! From start to finish our meal was fantastic! The best part was the freshness of the "Homegrown" tomatoes and spices. Note: Free Parking after 6:00 PM both on the street and in the Municipal lot nearby. We will definitely be back!:-) ~CD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really mind, but you could credit me with the photography... Kaleo

    ReplyDelete